Sunday 29 March 2020

Get rid of the awful plastic black truss rod cover

One of the first thing I noticed as unacceptable detail for a such well designed instrument was ........... this :




I mean ...... what the hell is  this fat plastic condom fitted with 1 screw on the top my bass headstock ????       Unacceptable.... nononono... I need to get rid of it.

So let's put over the counter some Italian re-styling (YepI'mItalian..) skills and design something more serious......  


Something in warm wood... maybe mid dark solid beech tree..


Kind of This:





Of course In my basement there was (by chance) an old small rusty cnc machine waiting for some new.....glory! 
:-)

After some carving...............





...........here the raw result:
 Please note the tab that will slide into the truss-rod groove \ hole keepling the cover super stable even keepling the original 1 screw compatibility design.
.............................................. (In a way You can later mount back the black  fat condom...)



Look promising.... A bit of oil finish .... and We can proceed with the installation:



And the final result is....



Wow .... this is really a worthy upgrade !!!!  Tally and skinny.
What You think?   :-)

In case someone is interested ...I can build  and ship  a small nr of pieces customized with the model type like A4 B4 A5 but I need to know some parameters like the groove width, screw hole position etc etc,  so  leave a comment or contact me (kkprince) on talkbass forum If You wish.

(The plate cover is wood carved...not printed ..each one take 4\5 hours of slow machining , 2 sides)






If You like my work please consider

a little contribution using my paypal account:

Donate!

*******************************************
https://www.paypal.me/kkprince999

*******************************************

THANKS !!
KKPRINCE
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment